Traditional “Lazy Pierogi” was a dinner staple in my house growing up. Mostly because it was easy and didn’t involve having to prep raw meat. I’m all for easy dinners but was never thrilled when this was on the menu. If you’re not familiar with the casserole it’s a mixture of pasta, cream of mushroom soup and sauerkraut, it’s topped with polish sausage slices then baked. There are many different versions, some tastier than others.
In an attempt to remake this dish basically the only thing I wanted to keep was the sauerkraut. Pasta is out, traditional cream of mushroom soup is filled with junk and I’m not really thrilled with the preservatives in sausage either but I was able to find organic precooked chorizo with no preservatives. You can use any precooked sausage you like. If you are feeling really ambitious you can sauté some onions and mushrooms and add them to this but it is good without them. You can also make this paleo with the substitutions listed below. This is my first original recipe, so if you try it let me know what you think!
Grain Free Lazy Pierogi
- 1 medium butternut squash or 20 oz package (peeled and diced very small, grated or spiralized)
- 16-18oz sauerkraut (rinsed and drained very well)
- 3/4 cup plain yogurt** (1 6oz container)
- 3 cloves minced garlic or 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper (can add more to taste)
- 1 cup shredded cheese** (I used mozzarella)
- 3 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 package precooked sausage (traditionally polish sausage, I used a preservative free chorizo, can use chicken or pork)
- 1/2 tsp coconut oil
1. Preheat oven to 375, grease a 13×9 glass pan with coconut oil.
2. Combine butternut squash, sauerkraut, yogurt, garlic, onion powder, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Sprinkle cheese and coconut flour over mixture and stir well.
3. Spread into prepared pan and bake for 40 minutes.
4. Slice sausage and arrange over mixture, bake for an additional 20-30 mins until squash is very soft and sausage has browned.
** to make this dish paleo/dairy free substitute 6oz plain coconut yogurt or 1/2 cup full fat coconut milk for the yogurt and 3 tbsp nutritional yeast for the cheese.
Serve with a green veggie or salad!